Duke: Alright, Corey, what are we talking about today? We're
CJ: All right, dude. Today, we are going to navigate chaos.
Duke: gonna put all kinds of Amber 40K jokes in here too.
CJ: My man, we're going to the Ida storm and hopefully we're coming out.
Duke: the Emperor! We will navigate chaos! Oh man, there's like five people who are laughing right now.
CJ: are us.
Duke: right! An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. Alright.
CJ: So do tell me, , why do we even need to navigate chaos? , why is this something that we need to talk about?
, Duke: because the best of us will be called on to take care of those situations. We all want to be dragon slayers, right? We all want to move up in the world, we want to , take on bigger and bigger challenges. And at some point, , the size of the challenge is dictated by how unknown it is.
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: Like there's small unknowns, how do we do this one thing, ? That's a small unknown, but this big thing is, Hey, the catalog sucks. Everybody hates it. Fix it.
CJ: Yeah, yeah, so, , what did I hate
Duke: Well, I don't know. That's what I mean, but that's what we're here to do.
CJ: I know, I know,
Duke: to talk about, right?
CJ: right
, Duke: at some point you're going to get assigned something that isn't defined.
CJ: Yeah, I mean,
Duke: That's also big and not defined. Okay.
CJ: Either, , directly or indirectly, and what I mean by that is that you've probably had a problem given to you that wasn't defined. And you probably had a problem that the, a signer thought was defined, but really wasn't once you broke it down. So, I think this is just a situation that a lot of people find themselves in. A lot more often than most people, , would think because it's really hard to contextualize to put a label on, right? I think calling it chaos is as good of a name as any, because it really is looking into the heart of the storm and trying to make sense out of it all without a map.
Duke: Yeah, it's gonna happen to you, every service now instance out there has some chaotic element, something that is not under control, something that is not well known. Um,
CJ: Absolutely.
Duke: Like, I work with this one customer and it was like, why is everything so slow, not performance slow, but why? Like we have this huge backlog of work, we've got this team of people, but how come everything takes so long to execute still, and there could be any myriad of reasons, but you've got to solve these problems, but there's no playbook for it.
CJ: yeah. And so the question is, where do you start with that situation? ? Because I think there's no playbook for it, but I think we all bring a certain, , style to that situation, ? Whether you think so or not. ? And the question is, do you intentionally bring that style or do you just, find yourself in the deep end and struggling to stay afloat? Haha.
Duke: So anyways, that's what we're here to talk about. We did some thinking about some, things that might help and that's what we do here, right? As we try and help people boss up,
CJ: I like it. All right, dude. Kick us off then. So what's the first thing you would say when, uh, what's the first.
Duke: pull out that rummy quote,
CJ: What's that?
Duke: Donnie rums.
CJ: all right. Yeah, I'll go with that. Yep. So one of the things, that I often think about when I'm entering a chaotic situation, right. Or even just the new situation really, . Is, Donald Rumsfeld, defense, , secretary for us, some years ago, probably. A lot of time before us. Some of you guys were born who are listening. But, he had this interesting quote, I abstracted some of it . But I think the whole quote is pretty interesting, right? And this, reports to say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me because, as we know, there are no knowns. There are things we know we know, right? We also know that there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know, but there are also unknown unknowns. The ones we don't know, we don't know. And if one looks throughout history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones, so when I'm thinking about Service now and projects and dealing with processes and being parachuted in the situations, right? This quote is always one of the first things that goes through my mind, right? It's like, okay, so what do I know? . What am I known knowns, right? Hopefully I was able to glean some of that from the client before I accepted the gig. , so I got a list there. Okay. These are the things that I know are already jacked up or need improvement or you. Perfectly fine. And then there's my known unknowns, right? It's like, okay, so I know there's some kind of question around foundational data. You know, I've heard that there might be some weirdness there. They haven't updated ad in 20 years or what have you, or they're switched over to Azure and nobody knows how these things work anymore, et cetera, et cetera, right? So now you got your known unknowns, right? But then it's the unknown unknowns, right? Okay. And those are the things that you don't find out until you actually get into the mix, I spent a whole lot of time trying to qualify my clients right on those no knowns and those known unknowns, but it's not until I actually stepped foot in the door metaphorically, right? That I actually start to figure out what are my unknown unknowns. And often I found that most of the significant unknown unknowns are people.
Duke: Yeah, it really does. Just, it always rubbed me wrong way that, thing that people say that people process and tools.
CJ: Yeah. People process product. Yeah.
Duke: because it's people that design the processes and are loyal to them once they give birth to them. Right. And then it's people that configure tools or it's people that want something out of the tools that isn't there. And so it's basically.
CJ: it totally is. , when I was doing the service now, , photo shoot earlier this year, I was talking to one of the photographers. That's what they do when they're trying to get you to smile and stuff. Right. And he was asking me about what I do. And as I was telling me, say, you know, I think you're an organizational therapist. And I was , like, Hmm, maybe I am. Right. Because often what I do is I come in and I talk to the people who are involved in this service now program. . And I'm talking them through their problems. Right. Trying to get them to a resolution, . Trying to get them to, , understand more about themselves and ultimately where they want to go, and them being both, themselves as people, the organization and also the tool, right. So yeah, organizational therapists. Definitely. I can kind of see that. , and part of that is trying to dig into a lot of these unknown unknowns, right? I think that's really, because that's really where. Where I think a lot of the value comes in, but also the, a lot of the potential for chaos and destruction. Right?
Duke: but let's talk about how you get, cause you gotta, you gotta start contending with,
CJ: Yeah, absolutely.
Duke: you gotta kind of flush them out. It's such a simple thing to do, but. Too few people do it, but take notes, get really good at note taking.
CJ: Yeah. Yeah.
Duke: And, and review the notes. I like to pat myself on the back a little bit. I think I did really good notes, but it didn't start getting super, super good until I started reviewing them. So I'll like take the notes and like a day later, I'll reorganize them. I'll edit them down. I'll refine them. I'll break the notes into categories. And then I come to the next meeting and. the whole unknown knowns or the known unknowns start becoming more known. Like, it just gives you more, image in my head is when you're mountain climbing. ? And you just need purchase. You just need something a little bit extra to get the extra grip on. So you can propel yourself up.
CJ: yeah, no, I,
Duke: the notes for me , just does it. And then as you're working the same project, don't open. Gosh, I've learned this the hard way so many times. Right. Don't open a new fresh page each time you meet, right?
CJ: is that?
Duke: why is that? Because then it's like when you review them, now you're scanning across multiple assets. And it's just logistically, mechanically harder to find , previously discovered information. You just keep it in the same, document. And everything you want to write down as a note is part of your knowledge base.
CJ: Oh,
Duke: I mean? Your knowledge base for this project that's going on. Like, imagine you flush out a key requirement, But that was on Monday and you're meeting like three times a week. So you got Wednesday's doc and now you're on Friday's doc. You find another key requirement, which is written on Friday's doc. And then next week on Wednesday, when you finally meet again, , do you even remember what day's doc that thing was in that you're not talking about next Wednesday? Okay. And by the way, this is like a project that you work on two hours every second day for four weeks. So you got like, 34 other hours of the week you're doing stuff. So if you get into the habit of taking notes, just collapse it into one note asset. I don't care what you use. Like I use, yeah, like I use, I use word, but I've been dying to learn things like notion. . Just to take capitalize on like hyperlinks and stuff like this. And so,
CJ: Yeah, man. You diving into like, you know, personal knowledge graph and things like that. That's a whole episode back and I can definitely nerd out on some of that notion and Rome and things like that.
Duke: I will literally pay somebody to teach me Notion to a high level. I will literally pay somebody. If you know anybody, chat, please, please get in touch, please. Anyways, take notes and interview the notes.
CJ: I think that's a good, , point. I think that based on the type of contract or the type of client or the type of project this, that I'm, , engaged in, notes are, it can be like. The lifeblood, right? They can be the thing that separates, , failure from success. When I'm doing a project where didn't, , entails a lot of, , executive, , stakeholder interviews and things of that nature, right? Then I got to put all of that together and to some kind of cohesive report to deliver to folks at the end of the day to say, okay, So I've talked to all the people in your broken process and they've all told me like why they think is broken, what they get out of it, what they want to get out of it, or why they don't think they should even be involved in it. . And these are the things that all jumped out based on everyone who was on who I interviewed. . And these are some of the things that I thought were super important, even though they were raised by only a few folks. And then these are a lot of the benefits that, you know, or these are the folks who actually feel like they shouldn't even be, I shouldn't be talking to them. . We had a good conversation, but they're like, why am I even doing this thing? I don't do the thing because I don't know why I'm doing the thing. I don't see what the value is. Right. And being able to put all that stuff together and deliver a report at the end of the day to the client and say, okay, now we know why your process is broken. And we know what some of your stakeholders want to get out of it. Let's see if we can align that with what you're looking to get out of the process and rebuild it better.
Duke: man, this is such a good point to, formalizing what you've learned so far. Like, if you're going to take the notes and it sounds like what you're saying now is just , Make sure those notes have stuff about the people involved, their takes, and your consulting, opinions on those takes, right? But then frequently providing that to your stakeholder, not just talking about it, but providing them the asset,
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: is huge because I'll tell you, if somebody's coming to you and saying, Here's a completely undefined thing, a very vaguely defined thing, with a ton of unknown unknowns in it. if they're giving it to you, then they've got heat on them as well. And if they could solve it, they'd already be done, gone, doing that. Right.
CJ: Yep,
Duke: And so you help them craft a narrative for the people who are breathing down their necks , by providing that to
CJ: well, that's exactly it Duke, I've got a client right now where I'm doing , this exact thing, right? Where they've engaged me to help them, talk to their people, right? To figure out like how this thing that they're doing can be better because right now it's not working. , and I'm arming them for those conversations. But I'm also at the same time acting on their behalf with those folks and being a neutral arbiter, right? , I got one foot on each side of the line, . Because I'm acting as their agent, but I'm also acting as a neutral arbiter, right? Like somebody who doesn't work for the company, but also has all of this extensive service now and process experience, . To then be able to coax out of, those stakeholders, some of that data that. Is really sometimes hard to share internally. And then I package all it up, give it to my client, and now they're armed for these conversations to actually make the process better.
Duke: the subset of that, and also something to put into the master note. I have a feeling it's going to rapidly turn into like a note taking thing. So for me, like, be sure that you're writing down the whole cast of characters
CJ: Oh, that's
Duke: on my notes. It's literally what it says cast.
CJ: Nice.
Duke: and when there's 10 people in the meeting, , literally get their names and how they're involved in the thing.
CJ: Nice.
Duke: It just helps you build a better solution is, I mean, it's a small thing again, but it's a big thing. Right. You have to understand who's, at play at this, who makes the decisions, , who has to be made happy, which might not be the decision maker.
CJ: Yes, no, no, absolutely. Oh man, don't. So we're going to talk about hidden power, right? Because, that's also a thing. That's one of those unknown unknowns, right? That's why I said earlier. That, , sometimes these things are about, , the unknown unknowns for me, almost always people, right? Because you don't know who, exercise is quite influence until you get involved in an integrated into the dynamic of the organization. Right? And then you actually figure out, whose power is moving not only the platform, right? And the teams. But also the company, right? And then, but and once you figure that out, then you can figure out how you can build service now to align with the goals, right? That are may not always be obvious to even the people who are working there. But when you find that sweet spot and when you hit that alignment. Boom, that's value, right? And so, again, one of those unknown unknowns, right? That quiet power that's being exerted by folks that isn't going to always be obvious, but you've got to be on the lookout for it.
Duke: got an example of this.
CJ: Yeah,
Duke: I had this customer certain employees have to track time. And certain employees have to, , approve time and it's weird, like employees can shift between different departments. So sometimes you have to change the scope of your approval context. Right? And there was a couple teams that are moving to their own kind of cordoned off area of service now. , but those teams basically receive a lot of the requests to change the context of time approval.
CJ: right.
Duke: And they're like, well, we're going to our own area. So this stuff won't be landing in this area. where it used to land. So , you have to get with that team and build them a catalog.
CJ: Okay.
Duke: I have the teams that usually receive this stuff and they would just literally, crumple up the piece of paper and toss it over the wall at the other folks. Oh, I got problems on top of problems. Okay.
CJ: just no longer my problem. Here you go. Your problem. Now you deal with that,
Duke: okay, so we got these two teams. So we have to cover them off, right? Because they have to have a way of telling the people that would come to them. No, this is the right input path. Okay, so I've got training and knowledge documentation that I'm for sure got to write to them. Now it's like, okay, get to this team that actually does the work, Two meetings in come to find out. Yeah, they do some of the work, but only after some other team has done the work. We're two weeks into this and now I got a whole other team.
CJ: right?
Duke: So, slap my hand because in this case I was very Narrowly focused, You tell me what your process is. And of course, they told me what their process is.
CJ: right.
Duke: But by accident, we sussed out that there's another team involved in this as well.
CJ: and they failed to mention that.
Duke: Yeah, but it's kind of like, yes, you could say that, but you could also, but you could also say, Robert, is there a better question you could have asked, right? extreme accountability here.
CJ: Yeah. No, no, it's absolutely fair. I always say that communication is the responsibility of the communicator, not the audience. , and so in this situation, I, I would totally agree with you, right? , is there a better question you could have asked? Is there a different person you could have talked to?
Duke: Oh, and here's the thing. Cause they're not like, they're not ServiceNow people, right? They process tickets in ServiceNow. And here's another unknown, unknown, how good has your previous service now system been set up because. These gentlemen were so focused on the idea that, , you give me a ticket, and I take that ticket, do something with it, and then give that ticket to somebody else. it never dawned in their mind, because they're not ServiceNow experts, that flows can send whatever tasks to whomever they want, in whatever sequence they want, and it can still be part of some overarching process. Rhythm or whatever, like all kinds of people can get tasks
CJ: I mean,
Duke: chunk of work.
CJ: yeah, yeah.
Duke: just like, well, when the task gets to us, the one task that's like pinballing around it, when we get it, this is our process. I guess you have to understand the pieces on the chessboard. The sooner you can find that out, like who all is involved. Like I should have just said, when somebody is asking for a change in this Time tracking application. Who all must be involved in that? Not, what is the flow for your team?
CJ: Yes, yes, yes, yes. , help me discover the unknown unknowns, right? Because just because they're unknown to me doesn't mean that they're unknown to everyone. And so you start with, , and I look at this as , there's some, uh, heart materials, right? That if you, if you hit it with a hammer, right, you get cracks that kind of spider out from the center. Right? I look at this as sort of the same thing, , you have your client or your person that you're engaged with directly on this process. ? And they're talking to you about all the stuff that they think that you should know, but not the stuff that you think that you should know. ? And so what you want to do is use that person as the center. of this nexus and help and have them spiral out from the center to all of the people who are involved in this process that they know, right? And then you're going to do the same thing with every other person in the network that they light up for you. . And, ultimately, as you talk to more and more folks, more and more nodes in the network, I know I started talking about cracks, but now we're on networks and nodes. But as you light up more nodes in the network, right? And you interrogate those eventually you get a complete picture. Right of everyone who's involved in this process based on talking to every note, listening to every note, taking notes about all of those conversations and building upon all of that knowledge again and again and again. And
Duke: Dude, can you, can you imagine how much more successful CMDB implementations we'd heard about if they looked at it from a people perspective like that? Not, but not just turn on discovery and see what happens,
CJ: right.
Duke: but more like, okay, let's just start with servers. who cares about servers?
CJ: Right.
Duke: Well, I mean, the server team cares about servers, but why do they care about But who else cares about server? Are servers like assets? Does asset management care about servers? Does it, does Are the servers ever audited? Does an auditing team care about servers in a different way that the server team does?
CJ: and who do they know who cares about service? Right. Because they,
Duke: you start with the who,
CJ: yep.
, Duke: and figure out who all is involved in this.
CJ: Yes, absolutely.
Duke: So the pieces on the chessboard, the cast of characters,
CJ: Yeah. Yeah.
Duke: to bring order to chaos is understanding the players. This
CJ: Yeah. , that's probably the first place that I'd look. , the longer I do this Duke, , and by this, I mean, it in general, but also service now. The more I realized that there is a huge black hole around people, and it is the single most important part of our jobs. And, I can't speak for generations that have come after me, but I know, as I was coming up in IT, a lot of the attraction was being able to tinker and automate and do things with technology that didn't involve, Me talking to other people, right? That was kind of, the thing that, attracted me to the industry. But again, the longer I'm here, the more I realized that really it's all about the people and it's really all about, talking to folks and getting to understand it so that you can do the tinkering thing that we all got here for.
Duke: is kind of like why I was blessed by not being super hyper technical in my start in IT. Because like, I had to ask questions just to understand enough.
CJ: Oh yeah. That's a good
Duke: know what I mean? To add, to add enough value. Cause I was dumb. I didn't know it.
CJ: Yeah,
Duke: And so just be like, explain that to me one more time. Explain that to me. I just got good at asking for the explanations and then writing it down. so I can research stuff later. Or so that. Or I could, bring it to somebody who did know
CJ: yeah, you know, I had a boss duke, , non technical, right? , and he would always say, explain like I'm five, right? And this is pre Reddit, right? Or at least pre that sub, we get to the point where we started like getting to the point where we're talking tech over his head. And he just, he stopped us. He slowed us down. He's like, all right, look, talk to me. Like I'm three, say that again. Like I'm
Duke: hmm.
CJ: So, cause I got to take what y'all telling me and I got to go advocate in the boardroom for this, And I got to be able to talk to these people and they don't know either. . And they expect me to know. So you got to explain to me how I can explain to them. and I think during those conversations, it allowed us to understand what we were trying to accomplish more too. So I do think there's a lot of a nugget of truth to your point there, Duke, about, you starting off and not being technical and having to ask all of those questions probably led you to where you are now in terms of being able to hop in into the in and out of these kind of projects, right? And work with a client and get that value that you get for them, right? Because you pop in and you know the questions to ask because you've been asking them all your life.
Duke: Okay. I got a different one. You always know generally where you are. they'll say, oh, catalog sucks or SPM sucks or. You know, something sucks, but you like, you can gauge where you are by that one big thing. So it pays to know and understand and be able to explain what an ideal state looks like. And
CJ: Ooh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Duke: beyond just, Hey, I'm this process sort of,
CJ: hmm.
Duke: comes from experience in contention. Like, but how do I convince you that this is the best idea, but also how do I, keep relearning this with catalog, right? So, in my latest, Hey, Robert, catalog sucks. , help us out. Hear the chaos. So, I built this, catalog item owner guide.
CJ: Okay.
Duke: And I don't just come to these, I don't come to the table and just say, where does it hurt? because frankly, they don't care. If they could snap their fingers and make the whole conversation go away and a catalog item, they do that, they're not interested in service now,
CJ: Right. Yes!
Duke: I make this, owner's manual for catalog items. And the first thing it does is they're like, why do these things matter? did you know that? This can orchestrate the efforts of multiple teams. Did you know that it can control approvals for auditing? Did you know that with some extra time, we can actually get systems to talk to each other in a flow so that you don't actually have to do the manual work? And so it's kind of what's in it for you, And what's in it for the organization so that they have a context of why we're sitting there. Like, why am I taking your time?
CJ: but it also gives them a context on how to talk to you. You think about that, right? Like you've,
Duke: me more about that.
CJ: yeah. All right. So by you giving them , this manual, all right, on how to catalog works, it allows them to think about, , it allows them to internalize, right? How the catalog works alongside, you their work processes. And now, they can have a conversation with you about things that they need in the context of a shared vocabulary, right? Around catalog, right?
Duke: Yeah.
CJ: you know what I mean?
Duke: especially, right. Isn't it awful when somebody sends you an email and you've got to extract, like. Maybe it's a three step process, but it's all just like information in the text of an email.
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: Well, that's what you're getting in a generic service request,
CJ: Yes.
Duke: So wouldn't it be nice if for everything that we knew how to do, here's the precise questions we need to know and nothing else. we asked them to answer just the stuff we need. And then the flow automatically starts. Anyways, like
CJ: no, dude.
Duke: catalog is the, is, is like the most like recent thing for me on this, but like this exists for freaking everything.
CJ: Dude. It is.
Duke: Asset, SPM, take your pick. But I think what I'm trying to get out here, sorry, I know you're trying to get in
CJ: No, you're good, man.
Duke: what I'm trying to articulate here is it takes more than getting certified and air quotes, knowing it, it takes a mindset of understanding what those prime value drivers are for any 1 thing. And being able to talk in a convincing manner about it. I would say this even includes maybe having some slide where that you can quickly like pop up. Like now I've got this, this catalog user guide thing. I'm like, I'll never be without that. I wish I had built it 15 years ago when I did my first catalog, like,
CJ: Yeah, yeah, it definitely, it definitely helps. , being able to go in and, have an anchor point where you can start a conversation and you know, I think that the anchor point can't really be. Because not everyone knows tech , and a lot of people are intimidated by it. And a lot of people who are intimidated by it, want to ignore it. , and often those people are decision makers, right? So you got to figure out how to talk to them in a language that they understand in order to get things done that they are, they're actually hiring you to do. And that difficult sometimes. Right.
, Duke: Oh, especially in service now too. Cause I don't think we fully appreciate. How not cool like having to use ServiceNow is when you're not a ServiceNow admin developer or whatever,
CJ: yeah.
Duke: and you just kind of like think about every single time you didn't. put a story in, or a project, or an incident, or a catalog item for the thing you're about to do. You just went ahead and did it, put it up, they said, and just like, because you'd rather be doing the thing you need to do than doing the bureaucracy around the thing you need to do.
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: And we don't fully appreciate how especially in implementations that have just been seen in their pants. You know what I mean? Maybe low training, low quality, it's a burden for people to put these, you might be walking into a team that's , maybe the only thing they get is the results of generic service requests and they get hundreds of them in a week. You know what I mean? And then asking those people about, let's break down the process and stuff. And they're just like, whatever, dude, get me like two category fields and I'll be great. Transcribed
CJ: yeah, just give me something I can group things on and triage a little better than what I got now.
Duke: that's right. So you gotta, give them a carrot. You know what I mean? You gotta lure them with bigger value. Got like five minutes left. I got one more if that's okay.
CJ: go for it man.
Duke: We actually have a whole bunch more. It's probably like a second episode.
CJ: Yeah, I know. I know this. This kind of became a lot more about like, it's weird. Like it. No, keep going. I love it. Keep going.
Duke: The next one is be the best PM you possibly can.
CJ: Yes.
Duke: You know, I mean, not your job. I get it. But, if we want to be dragon slayers and part of being a dragon slayer is slaying big dragons and the biggest dragons are all like of unknown size, then you got to learn how to be a PM to the best of your ability, because the sooner you can start talking to your stakeholders about how long it's going to take and who you need to slay the dragon. the better it is for you, They're just like, I need a plan. I need a plan. Now, ideally they want to have a perfect project breakdown structure, all that stuff, ideally, but you can give them the next best thing, which is like, listen, I know we have these amounts of work to do, So as soon as you know, you have a task, you need to get done, write down the task on your document in service. Now don't care. Right. And as you discover dependencies. Write those dependencies down and as you're able to put rough orders of magnitudes around each of those tasks and it gradually creates a bigger picture and the more iterations you get of it, the better the picture gets.
CJ: Yeah, that's entirely true. And I think there is a, push, , due to immediacy in our culture, right? That you have to have , the answer right now based on whatever limited amount of, information and scope you've been given,
Duke: And. And there's this idea too of the requests are in, you should just figure out that there's five. Okay. I'll take a real world example here. We've got like 15 requests to ulcer notifications. And they're like, just, figure out how long each of them is going to take and do them in order. But what they're missing is Just because some rando said, I think notification should work this way doesn't mean you do that. Is that person the process owner? Are they even a high frequency participant in the process? Or are they just voicing their opinions into the task module? You understand what I mean? So it's
CJ: Shouting into the void, causing the chaos. Yeah.
Duke: at least they got it into the task, but, we know we have to adjust these notifications, but you know what else we have to do? We have to form like this place. I'm saying it just because this place doesn't have it. We have to form like a council of people, like the process owner and a few of the key, key, key, users, power users of that process. So that we say, we're thinking of modifying the notifications in this way. So that's a task too. And it's got to be the 1st task. Establish the council. Okay, then the next thing in that project for me was. write down an SOP for notifications, these are our rules of engagement for doing notifications that had to come 2nd. Okay, now let's take that pile of 15, some of which we can be dismissed immediately. And others just get wrapped up into the project, but have to act like a PM and collect to dues and write them down.
CJ: those things become action items , that need to be taken care of. And look, you know, I, I, I have figured out based on my, public service, , that corporations do meetings way wrong, right? And that's the best way to do a meeting is, , by using Robert's rules, right? And, and Duke, I didn't, I didn't know you had rules, but you know, I'm glad I found them.
Duke: you're welcome.
CJ: And, and so let me tell you , the items here that I think are the most important, right? So one is the agenda, in government in Illinois, an agenda has to be published, I believe it's 48 hours before a public meeting. . And that agenda contains all the items that you are allowed to talk about. notice, I didn't say all the items that we might talk about, you know, or all the items, right? Yes. This list of items are the things that we must talk about. And only this list. and it must be provided 48 hours in advance. So everybody's got a chance to look at it before you get here. Right. So that's, I'm telling you do. And then, after every meeting, there are minutes. Published those minutes, record the actions that were taken and any pending actions that need to be taken. They record who needs to take those pending actions, or they record who took the actions in the meeting. So now you not only have this constrained list of items that you can only talk about in the meeting, you also have this list of to do's and to done's or to do's and have done's, That came out of that meeting. So now you are one step ahead of how do you schedule the next one? And what do you talk about in the next one? Now, there's a whole lot of other stuff that happens, , during the meeting that Robert's rules governs to, but for me, in terms of applying, public meeting methodology to corporate meetings, those two things , are ultimately, I think, would improve, , meetings like a whole lot at a corporate level.
Duke: Okay. That was a lot of different points. , I hope you guys found some wisdom in there. let us know if you want us to dive deeper on this kind of stuff. Maybe have a second episode, just let us know in wherever you see this posted.
CJ: Absolutely. And, uh, yeah, it's always, it's been a pleasure. I'll let you later.
Duke: one.
CJ: They don't know outro.