With all the violence in the BIble - especially the Old Testament, isn't it clear that violence is a moral option for Christians? In this episode we take a look at the second of two major nonviolent views dealing with this question.
- A huge thanks to Joseph McDade for his generous permission to use his music: https://josephmcdade.com/
- Discord Discussion Board: https://disboard.org/server/474580298630430751
- Greg Boyd’s “The Crucifixion of the Warrior God:” https://www.amazon.com/Crucifixion-Warrior-God-Volumes-ebook/dp/B06XRL77G1/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Crucifixion+of+the+warrior+god&qid=1566062395&s=gateway&sr=8-2
- Boyd’s shorter version called “Cross Vision:” https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Vision-Crucifixion-Testament-Violence-ebook/dp/B074GJSPNZ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Crucifixion+of+the+warrior+god&qid=1566062407&s=gateway&sr=8-3
- Tim Mackie interview on violence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWDGYaIjWsM
- Mackie’s six part series on violence, wrath, and the Day of the Lord: https://thebibleproject.simplecast.com/episodes/903c95d5-903c95d5
- Transcript of Mackie’s Day of the Lord Q&R, bottom ⅓ is the relevant portion: https://thebibleproject.com/podcast/day-lord-question-response/transcript/
- A small taste of Matthew Flannigan’s work on violence of the conquest, but he also has other writings which are great that delve into Ancient Near East language similarities with phrases from the Old Testament: https://web.archive.org/web/20130425115801/http://www.mandm.org.nz/2010/01/sunday-study-joshua-and-the-genocide-of-the-canaanites-part-i.html
- Matthew Fleischer's "The Old Testament Case for Nonviolence:" https://www.amazon.com/Old-Testament-Case-Nonviolence-ebook/dp/B078RWXDS9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+old+testament+case+for+nonviolence&qid=1575549606&sr=8-1
- Boyd's "Inspired Imperfection" on how to interpret the Bible: https://www.amazon.com/Inspired-Imperfection-Problems-Enhance-Authority/dp/150645562X/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=inspired+imperfection&qid=1578663381&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQU5IT1RMT0NST1c2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTEzMTA2MTVUUlYzM1NaMjgxUCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzEzNTA3MzFTQjc3R0E1MDFLSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
- How the Bible Actually Works by Peter Enns: https://www.amazon.com/How-Bible-Actually-Works-Answers-ebook/dp/B079L6HVVR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=how+the+bible+actually+works&qid=1589155262&sr=8-1
- Eric Seibert's "The Violence of Scripture:" https://www.amazon.com/Violence-Scripture-Overcoming-Testaments-Troubling-ebook/dp/B00APJRLRG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+violence+of+scripture&qid=1575549459&sr=8-1
- George Macdonald "The Higher Faith" Ch. 3: https://archive.org/details/unspokensermons_1205_librivox
What is The Fourth Way?
A podcast focusing on issues related to nonviolence