Space Stakes: The Business of the New Space Race

Launch scarcity stops being a talking point and starts showing up in corporate strategy: AST SpaceMobile tells investors it may need to buy or partner its way into launch capacity after New Glenn's May explosion and Vulcan's continued grounding collide with its BlueBird deployment plans. Plus: Rocket Lab's second national-security GEO satellite deal this year, ULA finally names a permanent CEO, the Pentagon funds deorbit-as-a-service designs, and the NRO makes HawkEye 360 an operational data supplier.
Space Stakes is an AI-voiced podcast, built and run by a real person. Nothing in this episode is financial advice.

What is Space Stakes: The Business of the New Space Race?

The money, missions, and power shaping space. Space Stakes is a daily briefing on the business of the new space race — launches, contracts, constellations, and the capital behind them. Every episode cuts through the industry's hype: signed contracts vs. paper constellations, funded orders vs. "up to" ceilings, launch dates vs. track records. Who pays, who profits, and who actually delivers — told so both aerospace insiders and curious newcomers finish feeling it was made for them. Space Stakes is an AI-voiced podcast, created and built by a real human, Brian Lampert. Nothing on this show is financial advice.

Today on Space Stakes: launch is cheaper and more abundant than it's ever been — so why are satellite operators describing their industry as being in outright panic over just getting a ride to orbit? We'll dig into what's actually breaking, and who ends up eating the cost. Before that, in the headlines: Rocket Lab lands another national-security satellite bus deal, ULA finally names a permanent chief executive after eight months of running the company without one, the Pentagon starts paying companies to design ways to drag dead satellites out of orbit, and the NRO makes HawkEye 360's spy satellite data a permanent part of its intelligence toolkit. Welcome back to Space Stakes, your daily brief on the business of space. It's Tuesday, August 18, 2026. Let's get into it. And if you thought last week's launch drama was settling down — today says otherwise.

First up, Rocket Lab keeps stacking national security work onto its resume. Viasat has selected Rocket Lab to build the satellite bus — the chassis and power system everything else bolts onto — for the first satellite in the Space Force's Protected Tactical SATCOM-Global program, an anti-jam communications network meant to keep troops connected in contested environments. Viasat won the prime contract, called Swarm 1, back in May, and stays responsible for integrating the payload and operating the satellite; Rocket Lab supplies the Lightning-GEO bus underneath it, the same vertically integrated hardware line the company's been selling across its national security work. Rocket Lab founder and CEO Peter Beck called it, quote, 'an important milestone for this program and for Rocket Lab's growing role in national security space,' end quote. So why does a subcontract with no disclosed price tag matter? Because it's the second national-security GEO satellite role the company's disclosed this year — this deal sits inside a Swarm 1 package reported at roughly four hundred thirty-seven million dollars across every contractor involved, not a stand-alone figure for Rocket Lab's piece, but geosynchronous orbit, the ring where a satellite hovers over one spot on Earth, is exactly where Rocket Lab wants to prove it belongs next to the legacy contractors.

United Launch Alliance finally has a permanent boss again. The company's promoted Mark Peller — with ULA since its formation back in 2006, roughly two decades at the company, and a propulsion engineer whose aerospace career goes back to 1990, working on Vulcan since its earliest development — from chief operating officer to president and CEO, effective immediately. That closes an eight-month gap since Tory Bruno left abruptly in December for Blue Origin, a gap interim CEO John Elbon has been filling ever since. Board member Kay Sears called the search a, quote, 'months-long process' weighing both internal and external candidates, end quote — and landing on Peller, one of ULA's own, is its own small signal that the board wanted continuity on execution rather than an outside shakeup. Now, the timing matters: Vulcan is exactly where ULA needs steady hands right now, ramping launch cadence while competing against SpaceX and Blue Origin for the next round of national security launch contracts. And Vulcan's own availability problems are far from resolved — the rocket hasn't flown since a booster anomaly in February, and ULA still hasn't given a firm date for when it will fly again, which, as we'll get to, is rippling well beyond ULA's own manifest.

Here's a story about cleaning up other people's mess. Picture a dead or dying satellite tumbling in orbit, never designed to be caught by anything — that's the target of a new Pentagon effort called deorbit-as-a-service, and the price tag says something about where this program actually sits: the combined award wouldn't cover a single Falcon 9 launch. The actual number is eight point four million dollars, split between three companies — Firefly Aerospace, D-Orbit and Katalyst Space — to design ways to rendezvous with, capture, and safely deorbit satellites. That's explicitly a design-phase award from the Space Development Agency and the Defense Innovation Unit, not a funded operational mission; each company does preliminary design review work, and the government decides afterward who moves on to an actual on-orbit demonstration. D-Orbit's U.S. CEO, Mike Cassidy, told Payload a successful demonstration, quote, 'would really accelerate the market,' end quote. This is the deliberately unglamorous plumbing of the space business — orbital logistics — and it's worth watching precisely because it's unglamorous: if satellites can be designed to be good-enough instead of perfect, because someone else will clean up the stragglers later, that changes the economics of building them in the first place.

The National Reconnaissance Office just handed HawkEye 360 a real vote of confidence. The spy satellite agency has moved the company out of a multi-year evaluation program and into an actual operational contract to buy its radio-frequency intelligence — data collected by satellites that listen for electronic signals, like radar or communications equipment, rather than take pictures. It's the first commercial provider to make that jump under the NRO's Commercial Radio Frequency Capabilities effort, which started back in September 2022 as a study contract for six companies before narrowing down through on-orbit demonstrations. The dollar value wasn't disclosed — the NRO says the contract vehicle is built to scale with mission needs rather than carry a fixed cap. Now, the demand signal around it isn't vague at all. HawkEye 360 told investors on its August 13th earnings call that international revenue hit a record twenty-one million dollars last quarter, up a hundred thirty-four percent from nine million dollars a year earlier, and international customers now make up forty-two percent of its overall forty-nine-point-eight-million-dollar quarterly revenue. Put it together and you get a government customer graduating a commercial vendor from pilot program to production at the exact moment that vendor's commercial business is taking off on its own — which is close to the ideal outcome for anyone hoping for a real dual-use space economy.

That appetite for commercial data brings us to a fight brewing on social media, this one about a very different kind of scarcity — launch itself. A space investor who posts as @MinuteMoola on X picked a public fight this week with author Ashlee Vance, arguing the industry's long-running cheap-launch story is breaking down. The argument, in @MinuteMoola's own words: 'It's interesting that one of the major bull cases for the space economy was much cheaper access to launch driven by massive reusable rockets and increased launch providers. But now it seems that the same launch providers have their own in-house business plans with extremely valuable payloads such that they need to be compensated even more to slot in a third party.' He even proposed a sequel book title: 'When the Heavens went at a Premium.' Now, that's one account's read, not a pricing study — there's no contract data here proving launch is effectively getting pricier for outside customers. But the timing is what makes it worth mentioning: this landed the same week earnings calls showed at least one operator publicly wrestling with exactly that dynamic — and that's exactly where we're headed next.

Our main story today: the launch bottleneck nobody's pricing in — and the question of who actually eats the cost when there aren't enough rockets to go around. We touched on this story yesterday: even though rockets are launching more often and more cheaply than at any point in history, satellite operators are describing their industry as being in outright panic over getting a ride to orbit. Quick refresher for anyone just joining: SpaceX's Falcon 9 dominates the market, ULA's Vulcan has been grounded since a booster anomaly in February with no return-to-flight date given, and Blue Origin's New Glenn exploded on May 28th — which leaves operators fighting over a shrinking set of realistic options even as demand for launches keeps climbing. So what actually changed? This stopped being an abstract complaint and started showing up as an actual corporate decision. AST SpaceMobile — the company building a constellation of satellites called BlueBirds meant to let ordinary phones connect directly to space without new hardware — wasn't subtle about the damage on its recent earnings call. The company now says the New Glenn explosion pushes its commercial direct-to-device service back into the first half of 2027. And here's the part that should catch your attention: AST says it may now need to mix and match rockets just to get its next batch of forty-five satellites into orbit, because Falcon 9 can only carry three BlueBirds at a time, versus up to eight on New Glenn. That's a real capacity gap, not a rounding error, when you're trying to get an entire constellation up on schedule. The company's response, according to chief financial officer Andy Johnson on an August 10th earnings call, is that AST is now weighing, quote, 'partnerships and/or acquisitions to further vertically integrate our business and mitigate risks associated with third-party launch providers,' end quote. Translate that out of earnings-call language: a satellite operator is now openly considering buying or partnering its way into owning launch capacity itself, rather than trusting the market to have a rocket ready when it needs one. And the alternative vehicle AST had once floated as a hedge, Vulcan, is exactly the one that's still grounded — ULA hasn't flown it since February and hasn't given a firm date for when it will. This is happening against a backdrop where the raw numbers say the opposite of crisis. Ars Technica reports the industry has averaged two hundred seventy orbital launches a year over the last three years — a more than threefold increase from a decade ago, per that reporting — and forecasters at Analysys Mason project more than thirty-seven thousand satellites will be launched over the ten-year window from 2023 through 2033. The Commercial Space Federation, an industry trade group, is projecting demand for thousands of satellite launches a year within the decade — so this shortage isn't a blip, it's a capacity fight everyone expects to keep intensifying before it gets better. Caleb Henry, director of research at Quilty Space, talks to operators about exactly this constantly, and he's hearing the same story everywhere: Telesat has reportedly been fielding requests from other companies asking to share some of the eleven Falcon 9 launches it's booked for its own constellation, and Amazon's Kuiper program has had to slow satellite production because most of the launches it booked about five years ago simply aren't ready yet. So with that picture in mind — genuine growth on one side, a handful of operators genuinely stuck on the other — let's get into who's actually right about what this means.

So who actually pays for this? Caleb Henry's read, in his own words, is blunt: 'What we have is an industry in panic.' He's not talking about the launch industry's production numbers — those are genuinely strong — he's talking about the mismatch between how fast satellite constellations are being built and how fast rockets can actually absorb them. On the other side of that ledger, the launch providers themselves aren't exactly complaining: Falcon 9's dominance of the launch market is precisely why operators are scrambling for slots in the first place. And that's exactly the tension @MinuteMoola raised on X in our headlines — that launch companies increasingly have their own high-value cargo to fly first, whether that's SpaceX's Starlink V3 satellites, Rocket Lab's own Neutron missions, or Blue Origin's communications ambitions, leaving third-party customers negotiating for whatever's left. Nobody has published contract pricing data proving launch is getting more expensive dollar-for-dollar for outside customers — that's still an assertion, not a demonstrated trend. But AST SpaceMobile's earnings call is the first time I've seen an operator say the quiet part out loud: they're not just worried about price, they're worried about plain availability, badly enough that buying or partnering into launch capacity itself is now on the table. Here's my read. The production numbers say this isn't an industry-wide crisis — average annual launches have tripled over a decade, and that context matters, because it would be easy to hear 'satellite operators in panic' and conclude the launch business itself is broken. The real problem sits somewhere else: the assumption a lot of these constellation business plans were built on five or six years ago, that if you booked a launch slot today, a rocket would show up on schedule with room for your satellites. New Glenn's explosion in May and Vulcan sitting grounded since February didn't just delay two vehicles — they collapsed the backup plan operators like AST were counting on, and now the industry's third option, waiting your turn behind SpaceX's own Starlink buildout, isn't really an option. It's the default. Right now, with Vulcan grounded and New Glenn grounded, the industry doesn't actually have three healthy heavy-lift options — it effectively has one, SpaceX. That's not a knock on Falcon 9, which keeps launching at a pace nobody else on Earth currently matches; it's earned that position fair and square. But an industry where one company is simultaneously a major satellite operator competing for the same customers and the only reliably available launch provider for everyone else is worth watching, regardless of how good that one company's rocket is. My skepticism is specifically pointed at AST's 'vertical integration' language: that's a hedge phrase on an earnings call, not a signed acquisition or a term sheet, and companies float those ideas to investors all the time without ever executing them. The number I actually want to see next isn't another quote about panic — it's a signed deal, AST or anyone else actually buying into a launch company, or a firm contract with a name and a date attached. Until then, this is a stated intention, not a strategy. Time for the Hype Check. I'm putting this one at a 6. The underlying facts are completely real — the vehicle groundings, the payload math, the earnings-call language — and the strategic stakes are genuine. But the word 'crisis' is doing a lot of unearned work when the industry-wide launch numbers are among the strongest on record. What we actually have is a handful of operators exposed to a narrow set of vehicle failures — a real story, just a narrower one than the panic headlines suggest.

If this pattern holds, the winners are the operators with balance sheets big enough to buy their way into guaranteed launch capacity — and the losers are the smaller constellations stuck watching their timelines slip while bigger players jump the line. Follow Space Stakes wherever you get your podcasts to keep up with how this shakes out, and if it's useful, share it with the one friend who keeps asking why rockets are suddenly dinner-table conversation. This has been Space Stakes, an AI-voiced podcast, created and built by a real human using today's cutting-edge technology. Nothing you heard on this show is financial advice. I'm Brian Lampert, and I'll catch you all tomorrow — take care!