The 12 factor app sets guidelines for designing software for deployment pipelines. They're a great starting point that can be improved upon. See why in this episode.
- Use declarative formats for setup automation, to minimize time and cost for new developers joining the project;
- Have a clean contract with the underlying operating system, offering maximum portability between execution environments;
- Are suitable for deployment on modern cloud platforms, obviating the need for servers and systems administration;
- Minimize divergence between development and production, enabling continuous deployment for maximum agility;
- And can scale up without significant changes to tooling, architecture, or development practices.
- Mastering the Third Way of DevOps use the Toyota Kata for continuous improvement
- Free DevOps Course much more detailed than what we can cover in the podcast
- Products over Projects expand flow, feedback, and learning to the entire organization
- The 12 Factor App
- My Review & Analysis on The DevOps Handbook
- My Review & Analysis on Accelerate
- Software Development in 3 Principles & 4 Metrics
What is Software Delivery in Small Batches?
Adam Hawkins presents the theory and practices behind building a high velocity software organization. Topics include DevOps, lean, software architecture, continuous delivery, and interviews with industry leaders.