Learn the "Thee Ways" of DevOps: flow, feedback, and learning as measured by lead time, deployment frequency, MTTR, and change failure rate.
The DevOps Handbook is the best introduction to DevOps available. It puts the value stream at the center of an IT company, thus it’s in the company’s best interest to optimize the value stream. The DevOps Handbook presents the “Three Ways”: flow, feedback, and learning.
Accelerate picks up where the DevOps Handbook left off. The three ways cover theory and relevant technical practices, but does not precisely define success criteria. Accelerate defines four metrics for measuring IT performance: lead time, deployment frequency, MTTR, and change failure rate. Research done by the authors also presents low, medium, and high performance targets for each metric.
Combining theory and practices from The DevOps Handbook and metrics from Accelerate provide a solid philosophy for software development and measuring performance. That’s “DevOps” in a nutshell.
- Free DevOps Course much more detailed than what we can cover in the podcast
- Products over Projects expand flow, feedback, and learning to the entire organization
- Mastering the Third Way of DevOps use the Toyota Kata for continuous improvement
- The DevOps Handbook by Gene Kim, Jez Humble, John Willis, Patrick Debois
- Accelerate by Nicole Forsgren, Jez Humble, Gene Kim
What is Software Delivery in Small Batches?
Adam Hawkins presents the theory and practices behind building a high velocity software organization. Topics include DevOps, lean, software architecture, continuous delivery, and interviews with industry leaders.