In this episode, Leo is joined by Paul Hudson of hackingwithswift.com about how to upgrade your skills and your team’s skills in 2020.
- Episode 23: Modularizing in Xcode with Abbey Jackson
- Episode 24: Continuous Integration with Kyle Newsome
- Episode 32: Training Your Team with Steve Lipton
- Episode 33: 2020 Developer Wish List with Alex Bush
- Sean Allen and Paul Hudson talk about Connie, the young coder
- SwiftTO - Paul Hudson - The Evolution of Swift
- Specialize in helping businesses build apps for iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch
- 10 years of experience developing for a variety of Apple platform
- Helping dev shops which lack experience with Apple platforms and Swift
- Do you have a product or service which can target our ever growing community of developers as well as technology and business leaders?
- Cultural Differences
- Why Speakers Should Be Available To Attendees
- The Challenges of Putting On Conferences
- Organizers Making Attendees Happy
- Having Really Nice Venue
- Workshops vs Talks
- Where Does the Community Fall Short with Inclusivity and Accessibility
- Having Children-Friendly and Budget-Friendly Events
What to Upgrade Skills and Why
- Where Do You Want to Be In a Year?
- Ask People In Those Positions
- The Technology Field Demands Continuing Education
- Continuing Education means New APIs but also...
- Older APIs - UIKit, Networking, Unit Testing, etc...
- Swift Syntax
- Patterns and Practice
Dealing with Updates to Swift
- The hedonic treadmill of Swift Development
- Key Path Expressions as Functions by Stephen Celis and Greg Titus
- Objective-C Cruft
- When to Upgrade Your Old Swift Projects? (spoiler... Yesterday!)
Upgrading Your Core Skills
- Why it's important to have Core Skills and not just Coding Skills?
- The Importance of Good Internal Presentation
- Why Senior Developers need Good Communication Skills
- Picking Up on Impromptu Speaking Skills
- Don't Feel Obligated Into a Role such as Public Speaker
Upgrading Your Swift Skills
- Paul's Thoughts on SwiftUI
- Understanding The New Patterns of SwiftUI
- The Importance of Unit Testing
- Ash Farrow on JS vs Swift
- The Complexity of Xcode
Upgrading Other Tech Skills
- Git and Version Control
- Learning New and Different Tools
- Terminal and Bash Scripting
- Regular Expressions
- Try Swift on other Devices
- Be curious about other languages and platforms
Recommended Courses and books
"Blippy Trance" by Kevin MacLeod (https://incompetech.com)
License: CC BY (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
What is Empower Apps?
An exploration of Apple business news and technology. We talk about how businesses can use new technology to empower their business and employees, from Leo Dion, founder of BrightDigit.